Smart Youtube is a WordPress Youtube plugin that allows you to easily insert Youtube videos/playlists into your post, comments and in your RSS feed. The plugin is designed to be small and fast and not use any external resources.
From version 2.0 Smart youtube also supports playback of high quality videos, works on iPhone, produces xHTML valid code (unlike YouTube embed code), allows you to view videos in fullscreen and most recently has support for YouTube playlists.
The videos will be embedded in your RSS feed as well, and if this is not support by the reader you can choose to have video link and/or video preview screenshot displayed instead.
- Embed YouTube videos with ease
- Embed YouTube playlists
- Supports latest high quality video protocols (360p and HD quality 720p)
- Allows full YouTube customization (colors, border, full screen…)
- Supports video deep linking (starting at desired point with &start=time parameter, use &start=num parameter)
- Works on iPod and iPhone
- Provides a sidebar widget for videos as well
- Produces xHTML valid code
- Very fast and light, no extra scripts needed
Installation & Usage
- Upload the whole plugin folder to your /wp-content/plugins/ folder.
- Go to the Plugins page and activate the plugin.
- Use the Options page to change RSS feed options
- When you want to display Youtube video in your post, paste the video link with httpv:// (notice the ‘v’)
0000000 part is your video REF#
The video will be automatically embedded to your post in the proper way.
If you want want to display a high quality video then just use httpvh:// instead.
If you want to post a HD (DVD quality, 720p) quality video you would use httpvhd:// (‘vhd’ for video high definition)
To embed a playlist use extension ‘vp’ (eg. httpvp://http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=528026B4F7B34094)
To use video deep linking just add &start=time parameter at the end of url. For example httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWfksMD4PAg&start=30 will start the video 30 seconds in.
Additionally, you can set how do you want the video to be displayed in your RSS feed. Smart Youtube can show the preview image of the video (automatically grabbed from Youtube), the link to the video, or both. I recommend enabling only the preview image.